Jargon buster

Print terminology can be confusing and intimidating. It's one of the reasons you'll always be able to speak to someone over the phone at Bishops to help you.

Image area

Portion of paper where ink appears.


A device that plots high-resolution bitmaps which have been processed by a RIP. May include type, graphics and photographic images.


To bring a picture or text file into and application ready for editing or design work.


Positioning pages in a press-ready form so that they will be in the correct numerical sequence after folding.


Postal information place on a printed product.

Ivory board

A smooth high white board used for business cards, for example.