Jargon Buster

Print terminology can be confusing and intimidating when you don’t understand it. That's one reason why you'll always be able to speak to someone on the phone at Bishops. We're here to make your life easier. Think of us as an extension to your own team!

If you can’t find the term you’re looking for, please call us on 023 9233 4900 ore email enquiries@bishops.co.uk and we’ll be pleased to help.

'A' sized paper

Paper sizes are based on dimensions of a large A0 sheet. Letterheads are commonly produced on A4 sized paper.


Abbreviation for artwork.


A thin flexible sheet of transparent plastic used to make overlays.

Against the grain

At right angles to the grain direction to the paper.

Art paper

A common term used to describe a range of smooth papers with a filled surface.